Zonta International District 4
Young Women in Public Affairs Scholarship
June 14, 2020
The District 4 Awards Committee is very pleased to announce that Sarah Rollings, submitted by Cheektowaga-Lancaster, has been selected as the District 4 Young Women in Public Affairs scholarship winner for 2020. Sarah will receive $1,500 from Zonta International as the District 4 recipient. The District 4 Awards Committee received 6 applications from the clubs in District 4. The candidates were all exceptional young women.
Sarah recently graduated from Depew High School. She plans to study Business with a minor in Political Science at the University of Tennessee-Knoxville in their Honors program. Sarah plans to pursue her JD degree after her undergraduate studies.
Sarah has accumulated an impressive record of leadership and service throughout her high school career.
- Served as Student Body Treasurer, Spanish Club President and Treasurer of the Academy of Finance
- Lead attorney for the Mock Trial Team
- Volunteers as a lead judge for Youth Court, an alternative criminal justice system
- Unpaid intern at the Children’s Legal Center
- Founded “Project Pen Pal” to establish pen pal relationships between high school students and residents of assisted living facilities, ultimately establishing 465 partners
- Bi-weekly volunteer at local Assistant Living Facility
Alyce and I wish to extend a sincere thank you to the District 4 Awards Committee members who participated in judging the District 4 YWPA Scholarship nominees and to all the clubs who submitted candidates.
- Jane Newman, Zonta Club of Kitchener-Waterloo
- Marnie Piggot, Zonta Club of Oakville
- Judy Powers, Zonta Club of Hamburg-Orchard Park
- Brenda Ulrich, Zonta Club of Lockport
District 4 Awards Committee Chairs
- Alyce Van Patten, Zonta Club of Rochester
- Beth Zak, Zonta Club of Three Rivers Pittsburgh North